I am definitely on an embroidery kick lately and my wardrobe has grown by two garments this past week. The first is the Roza blouse from Kata of Kate and Rose. I originally found her through the Colette patterns flickr group when she posted an embroidered Sorbetto. After checking out Kata’s blog and trying her free embroidery pattern (originally discussed here) this indie pattern designer is quickly becoming one of my favorites.
The Roza pattern is sold through Kata’s etsy store and is available in both paper and pdf versions. I bought the pdf version because I wanted to wear this blouse to my son’s graduation party last Saturday with my Hummingbird skirt and I didn’t have time to wait for the pattern to be mailed. The pattern is a basic raglan sleeve with several options to allow for customization.
- View A is a long sleeve, gathered front top
- View B is a short sleeve flat front top with a high-low hem
- View C is a short sleeve flat front dress
I actually mixed and matched the views to make my blouse. First I had to grade up the pattern in the bust and hips since the XL was still a bit smaller than my measurements. I chose the flat front short sleeve version but decided on a straight hem. Luckily the sleeves were large enough so no modifications were necessary to the raglan portion. The sleeves actually have a band and are supposed to be gathered but I prefer the look of plain sleeves so I simply used a small hem instead. I also blind hem stitched the bottom hem by hand.
The fabric is from Joel Dewberry’s Notting Hill collection and is a cotton voile Pristine Poppy in Citron. Not only is the perfect weight for our hot and humid South Carolina summers, it was also part of my stashbusting sewalong pledge! For the embroidery, I knew I wanted a swirly monogram so after searching MANY monograms, I chose a free font called Monogram KK. I then used a tutorial from Project Wedding to intertwine my initials. I printed the monogram, traced it onto a piece of white linen using my light box then stitched it by hand using three strands of DMC embroidery floss. I love the result!
Since I was short on time, I did not make a muslin (who am I kidding, I never make a muslin!) but next time I will probably not grade up the sides as much as I did on this version. The blouse hangs a bit in the front as you can see in the photo below but not enough to make me want to go back and modify anything this time around. Overall I am very pleased with this pattern and already have another one planned using the Hungarian braided chain stitch and this embroidery pattern for the front panel. If you haven’t ever incorporated embroidery into your garment sewing, you should definitely give it a try!