Continuing from yesterday’s post, today I have my reflections and inspirations.
Reflections: 2013 was a good year for expanding my skills. I not only completed my first quilted item, I took part in many sewing challenges. For me the challenges provided an outlet for learning how to correctly install an invisible zipper, sew a hem by hand, successfully draft a pattern, and even how to sew a swimsuit!
Inspirations: My biggest inspirations in 2013 were other bloggers! I learned so much from reading everyone’s blogs and seeing everyone’s finished garments often led me to try patterns I would have overlooked otherwise. My top five blogging inspirations:
- Roisin from Dolly Clackett. Her sheer number of dresses is inspiring and her sense of humor is wonderful. I think Roisin’s fabric choices pushed me to buy patterns that make me happy instead of always worrying whether the garment could be worn all the time. Sometimes wearing less often is a good thing because it becomes more special!
- Abbey from Sew Charleston. She is a relatively new blogger but her photos are charming and her fabric and pattern choices closely mirror mine. Perhaps it is because we are both from South Carolina but “great minds think alike”.
- Alicia from Posie Gets Cozy. I have been following Alicia for years and the glimpses inside her home and life are wonderful. She often shows knitting and embroidery projects and certainly provides lots of home decor inspiration.
- Lauren from Lladybird. Most sewists are familiar with Lauren and her mad skills. Her honest personality comes across in her blog and her feisty attitude is fun to read!
- Lizzy from Sew Busy Lizzy. Lizzy is both a knitter and sewist which makes her blog double inspiring to me. I especially loved her many versions of the Anna dress. It was her blog that pushed me to buy the pattern and discover the By Hand London company. Though my first Anna dress ended up as a miss, the inspiration is still there!