I stayed up until midnight to finish but the dress is done! I wore my Great Gatsby Sewing Challenge dress to both church and to see the movie for Mother’s Day. The main fabric is stretch taffeta and the sleeves are chiffon. I used a dress circa 1926 as my inspiration. I liked the color, chiffon sleeves and rosette flowers but drop-waist dresses do not flatter my curvy shape so I opted to make a more straight style shift dress and instead incorporated 1920’s elements.
I wanted a feminine dress I could wear to church or out to a nice dinner that would give a nod to the Gatsby era but not scream “costume”! I think my interpretation does the trick. The dress is made from the Colette Laurel pattern with Colette Taffy sleeves. I also added a triangular bit of lace to the bodice as many dresses from this time period included this style element. I wore my spectator pumps from BAIT Footwear to round out the ensemble.
The chiffon flower was made using a Mother Huddle tutorial with some modifications. Instead of hot gluing the fabric to the felt circle, I hand sewed it. I also sewed a pin to the back so the flower could be removed when I wash the dress. The vintage button in the middle was picked up a couple of years ago at an area sewing “Shop Hop” for about 15 cents.
In addition to learning how to make chiffon flowers, I also learned how to hand sew an invisible hem and insert lace. The dress is by no means perfect, but it is comfortable to wear and fits me pretty well. I definitely plan to wear it again in the future!